seeking a New York City attny experienced with grandparents' rights

Asked on Nov 14th, 2017 on Elder Law - New York
More details to this question:
My daughter is restricting/holding back on my being able to visit with my granddaughter, who is 2 1/2 yrs old. My daughter claims it is difficult for her to travel to me because she wants to relax on weekends (she works mon-fri) but she has traveled out to visit family about a mile away from me and also travels for activities with her daughter on the weekend. My granddaughter has only been in my home 2 times, both times for major family holiday, never for private visit with me. My visits are limited on weekdays/weekends to HER home due to their schedule, etc etc. I need some assistance with this - I want to be more a part of my granddaughters life despite my daughter's apparent issues (going back decades) with me. I have given moral and monetary support/gifts to them.
Report Abuse
Answered on Nov 14th, 2017 at 5:58 PM
A court will grant a petition for grandparent visitation if the grandparent can prove there's a special relationship between the grandparent and child or that the grandparent has done everything possible to have a relationship, but the parents have thwarted this. The court will take the parent's objections and other factors into consideration, and may require a hearing. If you've tried everything reasonable under the circumstances and there's no good reason your daughter is keeping you away, it's likely that a court will grant your petition. 

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters