Needing to find out how to go about changing titles, assets out of my mother's name into mine & also what is the time frame needed to get paperwork do

Asked on Jan 07th, 2017 on Elder Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
Is there a timeframe in CA to get this done before she goes into full-time care as far as Medicare, medical?
Answered on Jan 08th, 2017 at 5:54 AM
You need to consult with an Elder Law attorney.  I'm in New Jersey and don't know California law.  However, most states has rules that prevent you from transferring a person's assets out of their name, and then asking for assistance with medical costs.  In New Jersey there is a five year look back rule - anything transferred within five years of applying for Medicaid can make the applicant ineligible to receive benefits - in other words there is a penalty.  You are going to want to proceed with caution. 
Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters