My mother is on medicaid in a long term care facility. She is to receive a sizeable amount of money from her deceased niece who died without a will.

Asked on Feb 10th, 2017 on Elder Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
I am her power of attorney. Is there any way the inheritance can be put ini an account, not subject to forfeiture to medicaid? It is currently in probate in the State of New York.
Answered on Feb 11th, 2017 at 5:25 AM
You might be able to disclaim the inheritence and have it pass to you and your siblings, if any.  You should contact the attorney working for the estate and see if a disclaimer is possible.  There are certain rules to be able to disclaim, like timing and whoo the asset passes to after disclaiming. 
Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters