> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Elder Law > How can I protect my sick mom from my brother?

How can I protect my sick mom from my brother?

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 08th, 2017 on Elder Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
My mother is very sick with Parkinson and my brother is taking advantage of her bullying her to buy him a house and now is pushing her very hard to buy him a dump truck and give him my father's recycling business. How can i legally protect her from his demands?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:20 AM

You can file a guardianship to declare your mother incapacitated.  Then she cannot divest herself of her assets, and the court will monitor her finances.  If you are in Monmouth or Ocean Counties, call my office and I can help you.  If you are in another county, use the search functions to find an elder law attorney in the county in which your mother lives. 

Report Abuse
Elder Law
As adults age, they often lose some mental acuity while also facing more physical limitations. These health conditions put senior citizens at greater risk of exploitation and abuse. At the same time, the elderly need to think about their long-term medical and financial needs, and make estate plans to ensure their legacy after they pass away. An elder law attorney can work with seniors and their families to address issues such as advanced directives, powers of attorney, living wills and last wills and testaments. Elder law lawyers can also help families intervene if a guardianship or conservatorship is necessary. And personal injury law firms with experience in elder issues can help victims of elder abuse and nursing abuse take civil and criminal legal actions against their abusers.
Have an Elder Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

311 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

75 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums