> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Elder Law > My cousin gave power of attorney to my brother

My cousin gave power of attorney to my brother

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 09th, 2017 on Elder Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
Now my cousin can no longer can get any information about his funds in his bank accounts My brother will not discuss his financial status with us or him , but just tells him he's has no money left. 2 years ago my cousin was left a house and and $250,000 from his mother who passed. Is it possible he has been exploited by my brother and he has embezzled my cousins money ? How can we find out ?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:16 AM

If you suspect elder abuse, you should contact Adult Protective Services, or get an elder law attorney involved.  You can demand a formal acocunting, and if the person doesn't respond, file an action in court requiring an accounting of what happened to the funds.  

Report Abuse
Elder Law
As adults age, they often lose some mental acuity while also facing more physical limitations. These health conditions put senior citizens at greater risk of exploitation and abuse. At the same time, the elderly need to think about their long-term medical and financial needs, and make estate plans to ensure their legacy after they pass away. An elder law attorney can work with seniors and their families to address issues such as advanced directives, powers of attorney, living wills and last wills and testaments. Elder law lawyers can also help families intervene if a guardianship or conservatorship is necessary. And personal injury law firms with experience in elder issues can help victims of elder abuse and nursing abuse take civil and criminal legal actions against their abusers.
Have an Elder Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

316 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

145 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

119 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

87 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Elder Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums