> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Elder Law > If my mom were to call, what would be the cost of changing power of attorney?

If my mom were to call, what would be the cost of changing power of attorney?

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 12th, 2017 on Elder Law - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
My Mom used to live in New Wilmington, PA. My brother has power of attorney. She is in a rehab facility in Du Bois Pa. She is of sound mind and would like to return home, but would need in home care. My brother said she would only need to stay a few weeks. It has been over a month and my Mom thinks it will be permanent. She has a reverse mortgage on her house. What number can she call to find out other options?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:09 AM

Having a family member with dimished abiltiy to handle their own affairs is really stressful.  I know because I've dealt with that personally.  If your Mom can make her own decisions, she can work with the facility to be discharged if that's appropriate for her care.  She can authorize the facility to discuss these matters with you.  She can revoke the POA with your brother -- preferably in writing but it would be best if she were do have a new POA in place first.  It sounds like you have legal, social and care questions.  An elder law attorney in your area can be of some help and perhaps point you in the direction of others who can assist with non-legal matters.

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse
Elder Law
As adults age, they often lose some mental acuity while also facing more physical limitations. These health conditions put senior citizens at greater risk of exploitation and abuse. At the same time, the elderly need to think about their long-term medical and financial needs, and make estate plans to ensure their legacy after they pass away. An elder law attorney can work with seniors and their families to address issues such as advanced directives, powers of attorney, living wills and last wills and testaments. Elder law lawyers can also help families intervene if a guardianship or conservatorship is necessary. And personal injury law firms with experience in elder issues can help victims of elder abuse and nursing abuse take civil and criminal legal actions against their abusers.
Have an Elder Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

316 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

145 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

119 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

87 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Elder Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Kryszak and Associates, Co., LPA

Sheffield Village, OH

| Contact Now

Kassoff, Robert & Lerner, LLP

Rockville Centre, NY

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums